Fall is officially upon us here in Norwood, and the days are getting shorter (booooooo!) Don’t let the lack of sunshine get you down. Try one of our easy one-pot dinner recipes and spend the evening doing something way more fun than scrubbing pots and pans!
Staff Pick: Easy One-Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice Bowl
Take Taco Tuesday to a whole new level and try out this amazingly simple and outrageously delicious dish. Not only will you save time by cooking the whole recipe in just one skillet, but this makes enough to last for a whole week of lunchtime leftovers… or to share with your favorite neighbor!
First Things First
No artist can create without the correct tools. Arm yourself with a good quality cast-iron skillet. Our favorite is the Lodge Deep Dish, available at Williams Sonoma. We promise, you’ll use this so often you won’t remember how you lived without it!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 13oz chicken breast, sliced horizontally into thin strips
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1½ cups frozen corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups white rice
- 1½ – 2 cups shredded cheese – we like Cabot pepper jack!
- 1 28 oz can Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce
Don’t Get Your Apron in a Twist
Now that we have all the yummy ingredients, follow these few quick steps and get ready to enjoy your easy one-pot enchiladas!
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in large skillet
- Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked thoroughly
- Remove from skillet and set aside
- Add extra oil if the skillet is looking dry. Add onion, garlic, and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes minutes, until soft
- Add chicken broth, enchilada sauce and corn. Bring to simmer, then add rice
- Stir, cover with a lid and turn down heat to medium low. Cover and cook until rice is cooked but not mushy and most of the liquid is absorbed – about 15 to 18 minutes. DO NOT STIR!
- While you’re waiting for the rice to cook, shred chicken
- When rice is cooked, quickly stir chicken through, sprinkle with cheese then broil until golden and bubbly
- Garnish with your favorite toppings – fresh avocado slices, chopped tomatoes, black beans, sour cream… the sky’s the limit!